Depression : Client/Family Education
- Nature of the illness
- Stages of grief and symptoms associated with each stage
- What is depression?
- Why do people get depressed?
- What are the symptoms of depression?
- Management of the illness
- Medication management
- Assertive techniques
- Stress-management techniques
- Ways to increase self-esteem
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Support services
- Suicide hotline
- Support groups
- Legal/financial assistance
- Has self-harm to the client been avoided?
- Have suicidal ideations subsided?
- Does the client know where to seek assistance outside of the hospital when suicidal thoughts occur?
- Has the client discussed the recent loss with the staff and family members?
- Is he or she able to verbalize feelings and behaviors associated with each stage of the grieving process and recognize his or her position in the process?
- Have obsession with, and idealization of, the lost object subsided?
- Is anger toward the lost object expressed appropriately?
- Does the client set realistic goals for self?
- Is the client able to verbalize positive aspects about self, past accomplishments, and future prospects?
- Can the client identify areas of life situation over which he or she has control?