How Men Can Improve their Prostate Health
As men get older they experience prostate problems and sometimes prostate cancer. Actually the statistics are shocking – 1 in 6 American men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetimes. The good news is that men can lower their risk and improve their prostate health with sensible lifestyle decisions.
Things Men Can’t Control
Family history – if a man has a close male relative with a history of prostate cancer then he is at higher risk
Naturally high testosterone levels – also includes men on testosterone therapy – this is a higher risk factor
Ethnicity – African American men have a higher risk factor than other ethnicities
Things Men Can Control
- Smoking – quit smoking; smoking will greatly increase your risk factor for prostate and other cancers
- Alcohol – quit drinking or severely limit your alcohol intake
- Coffee – limit your daily intake of coffee to one cup per day
- Exercise – an exercise program will improve your overall health
- Kegel exercises – these exercises consist of tightening the muscles around the man’s scrotum and anus for a few seconds and then relaxing; 10 repetitions 5 times per day is recommended
- Weight – maintain a healthy weight throughout your life
- Diet – consult your doctor and / or a nutritionist; include foods with lycopene such as red peppers and tomatoes; include soy and fish with high levels of omega-3 acids such as tuna and salmon.
- Doctor Visits – visit your doctor regularly for checkups; it is far better to diagnose any cancer early rather than later